Thursday, July 14, 2016

Evan's Airborne Graduation

Last month I surprised Evan by showing up to his airborne graduation in Fort Benning, GA with the kids! He didn't think I was going to come due to me just getting back from Mexico two days prior. I thought about not going because of all the driving and I didn't know if I wanted to drive some more, but luckily my father-in-law offered to drive us there. Evan's grandfather went too! So it was a nice little family trip there. 
Main reasons that I decided to go; first of all, we hadn't seen Evan for about a month and I'm sure the kids missed him as much as I did. I also wanted the kids to see what their dad has been doing all of this time. I was told the men get to jump into their graduation and I was super excited for the kids to see their dad jump in...but unfortunately we found out that they stopped doing that about a year ago. We did get to see some professionals jump in though! It was really cool. They had a name but I forgot it. Black Hawks? Something like that. Apparently the graduation we went to was one of the biggest graduations. I was kind of disappointed I didn't get to sit in front of Evan's group, due to several buses full of Airborne veterans who came to see a random group of men graduate from Airborne school. They had the whole other side of bleachers reserved for them so we were pretty far away from Ev. Oh well. It was really neat to see some of the veterans responses to the whole ceremony. It got me thinking if one day we'd be the ones having seats reserved for us to see some random young group of guys graduate. hahaha I know we have like 50 years before that happens. 
The kids were pretty ecstatic when they saw their dad. Before the veterans unloaded, I went around with the kids to try and find Ev. It was hard because all the guys looked the same. Almost all the men were wearing the same uniform. There were Navy, Marines, and Air force, but the majority of them were Army. I was looking for a tall guy because Ev is 6,3 but man, almost all of these guys looked tall to me! hah! I finally did find him though and when the kids saw him they wanted to go to him but I stopped them from going because they were in formation and it was before the ceremony began...so they really couldn't. They didn't like that. 
After the ceremony we got to go down and watch him get his wings pinned! We were supposed to get to pin his wings but by the time Ev found out, it was too late, so that was kind of disappointing. It was okay though because I was just soo happy to see him and so were the kids! I don't think he recognized me at first because I was soo dark! (ya know? from the beach.) Anyways, he seemed pretty happy to see us too! 
I want to express how proud I am of Evan and all that he has set out to accomplish. He went to selections last October for 3 weeks and passed the first time around. Then he went to Georgia for Airborne school for another 3 weeks and obviously graduated because I wouldn't be writing this post if he didn't! And now we're in North Carolina because Evan is starting Q-Course next week! I'm soo excited for him because this is what he's always wanted and I know he's going to succeed. Not many men get this far in the process! So I'm just overly happy for him. Here we are starting a new chapter in our lives and I know it's going to be a good one. 
God is watching over us for sure. I honestly don't think we would have made it this far without HIM! We have done a lot of praying, practicing our faith, and spending time with Him. I don't think Evan passed selections just because he's good. I mean he is good, but praying helped out mucho mucho. I prayed like crazy when he was there and I'm sure Evan was praying too. haha Heck. we've been praying throughout this entire process. We traveled for days and got here alive! Point is, when you've got Jesus in your life, you know everything will work out the way it's supposed to. He has a plan for us all, we just have to trust in Him. I'm beyond grateful everyday for where we are and how far we've gotten together. 

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 
- Jeremiah 29:11

 I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend! Make it a great one!