Friday, June 24, 2016

Our Week in Michoacan, Mexico

My mom is from this small little town by the name of Santa Getrudis in Michoacan Mexico. Before my MaTonita passed away, we used to go there every Summer growing up. I have soo many sweet memories there. The last time I went was when I turned 15! I had my Quincenera there! That was also the last time our whole family was there together. So you can only imagine how excited I was this time. :) Plus having my kids there was even more exciting. I just wish that Evan could've went on the trip with us. The drive there was beautiful by the way. Lots and lots of mountains and cactus everywhere! I wasn't able to get a good picture of either one because we couldn't stop once we got in Mexico because it's dangerous. We only stopped for gas and food. So pics are from moving car on my phone.
For the long two day drive, I made a snack box! I found the idea from pinterest!
So the first few days in Mexico were a bit hectic. Our first day was spent driving...all day. We got lost twice and since we had no internet we couldn't use google maps to help us find our way. We did it by reading signs and hoping we were going the right way and we stopped to ask people too. We finally got to my mom's small town around midnight and guess what? The kids were up and going crazy. I didn't get to sleep right away and the kids were probably uncomfortable in a new place. You're probably thinking that we're crazy driving...but you gotta do what you gotta do. 
The next morning, I woke up to roosters crowing, vans honking to take people to the city for work, and people yelling, "bolillo!!" and "tortillas!" And yes, we got some bolillo and fresh handmade tortillas for breakfast. Soo good. Especially with Mexican coffee. oh how I missed it. The rest of the day was spent cleaning my mom's house...as it was unattended for many many months. It was also crazy hot. My kids were going crazy in the backyard chasing chickens and breaking bricks and throwing water around so they got pretty dirty. They each got two baths that day and I had to wash their clothes and hang them to dry. It was a lot of work! Also, baths in Mexico are not the same as in the U.S. of A. We have limited hot water, so you either have to be really quick or heat up water in a pot, wait for it to cool off, and then pour cups of water over yourself while you wash. Yea. I know. haha There is seriously soo much we take for granted. Later on in the day we went to Zacapu (the city) to buy some conchas! and pan dulce! oh. my. gosh. Sooo good! I could eat all of it in one sitting but...you know...I'm trying to be healthy so I can't. hah!
 They spent most of the days out back building minecraft places...and then one day, Judah decided to try and kill a chicken because he needed a pattern? Something like that for minecraft. hahaha I had to tell him this is real life and doesn't work that way. If he kills the chicken, it's just going to be dead and we'll have to skin it and eat it. He didn't like that so he didn't try to do it again.
In the following days, I tried to go for a run once...in the morning but cut it short because their are soo many stray dogs around here and they kept chasing after me. Yea. It probably looked hilarious. So I walked home and jogged when there were no dogs around. I think I got a mile in...not sure. haha 
I finally got Micah's haircut for the wedding. If you didn't notice, it was cut very crooked the last time it was cut and it was driving me crazy.  I also got to go try on my bridesmaid dress with my then, future sister-in-law. I actually really liked our dresses. I thought they were very cute. Although, it wasn't one of those dresses anyone could pull off.  The only downside was that I didn't get to take as many pictures as I would have liked to because I always had kids in tow and it's hard to use my camera with one hand...let alone carry it around while holding Ezrah on the hip. It was tough, but I enjoyed being back in Santa for a week and I've already mentioned how beautiful the wedding was. Here are some more pictures from our week in Santa.
 Different colored beans ^^ and dried fruit!
 Part of our neighbor's cactus garden ♥
 Sunrise from my mom's roof!
Real fruit paleta's around the corner from our house. Sooo good! I think I had one every day.
Us on top of the roof! It was kind of scary having the boys up there because they are wild and I didn't want them accidentally falling off. We didn't stay up there very long.

So there you have it! My first week in Mexico! Minus the wedding because I already posted about that earlier! Next up, Ixtapa! :)