Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Easy to do, Easy Not to do

Recently I've been reading this book called the Slight Edge by Jeff Olson. I've been meaning to read this book for a few months now and I finally just decided that a few pages a day will at least get me somewhere. Anyways, this book is about turning simple disciplines into massive success and happiness, as it says on the cover. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started reading this book. I just thought, 'hey since the founder and CEO of my company, Nerium, wrote this book, I might as well read it.' and let me tell you, WOW just WOW. haha I'm not even done with it yet and I already know it to be one of the best books I've ever read. 

Anyways, in this book Olson is talking about how it's soo easy to do certain things and so easy not to do. Those simple things are the key to succeeding at whatever it is your goal is. Like reading your Bible everyday for example. It's so easy to just set aside 10 to 15 minutes a day to pray and read the Bible...and then again, it's so easy not to do. It's so easy that we just don't do it. Olson then talks about why diets don't work. Most diets are so simple to do, but we don't stick to it because it's so easy to skip a day at the gym and then it turns into weeks and then months. It's soo easy to just go and order junk food which you know good and well is bad for you and isn't going to help you lose weight in anyway, yet it's even easier not to do. It's easier to stay home and cook and eat a healthy meal than it is to get ready, put on some decent clothes, get in your car, drive to wherever Mcds or BK is at, and spend money that you're trying to save up on junk food. Am I right? or am I right? haha Most of this stuff is just common sense really! But sometimes we need to read a book about it to really put it into perspective for us. Like, OH MY GOODNESS!

So I was thinking about how successful one person could really be if they'd just apply themselves every day to whatever it is they want to be successful at. Like me for example. I would like to be really really good at the guitar and the piano. I just don't put in the time to practice everyday because I get frustrated with the kids not letting me play and concentrate. But I'm sure I could at least put in 30 minutes a day practicing the guitar or the piano. All I would have to do is alternate days. That's so easy to do...yet so easy not to do. I may not see results right away, but over time I will.

Okay okay okay. So my goal right now is to do just that. Give 30 minutes of my day everyday to practice my music. How easy is that? Really easy! I just need to make it a priority. So here I go! :) What are some things you would like to improve in your life that you could give 15-30 minutes of your time a day to dedicate to?