Saturday, August 29, 2015

Reenlistment and Appreciation

Evan reenlisted this week for another two years. They had this nice little ceremony and everything. It's something to see in person. They even gave me a certificate of appreciation seen on Instagram here. I wasn't expecting it at all. Here I was snapping pictures of Evan and the other guys and then they call out my name and this guy starts walking towards me to give me a certificate and then everyone clapped. I felt special. hahaha Then, Evan gave the most sweetest speech thanking me and the kids basically for being here for him. He said how much he loved us and how he wouldn't be where he is now without us. It made me a little teary eyed because I wasn't expecting that either. As much as I would like to say that I'm used to the army by now, I can't. Because I'm not. I wonder if I'll ever get used to it. 

Being a military spouse is most likely the most stressful job there is. You never know exactly what time to expect your spouse home for lunch or dinner. You can never plan everything exactly the way you want it to be. You always have to have a plan B and C in case plan A doesn't work out. If you ever try to plan a trip, you have to make sure it's 100% refundable because you never know what's going to happen with your spouse being in the military. If your family is active, you have to live far away from family and friends. Wherever you get stationed, you have to make new friends. You have to enroll your kids in a new school. Your kids have to make new friends. Your new friends were there before you got there, so now they are PCSing else where. You have to say goodbye. Same goes for the kids. They make new friends in school and then their families have to move away. Then you have to move on and find new people to converse with. It's a never ending cycle...a tough one at that.

 Evan has missed many birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays because of work. It's not fun and as much as I hate that he has to miss out every year on such important days, I understand why he has to. He does this for his family. He does this for his friends. He does this for our country. There will never be enough words to describe how thankful I am of my husband and everyone else who serves to protect and defend our country. So thank you, and thank you to all of the other families who have to endure long months, weeks, days, and hours away from their loved ones. God bless you all!