Friday, February 22, 2013

Blueberry Muffins & Sopa de Fideo (Fideo Soup)

We are snowed in. Literally. The day before yesterday the news was calling for 20 inches. Evan got off work early so we could go stock up on food before all the snow started to fall. It took us about thirty minutes to get to the commissary when usually it only takes us five minutes. The commissary was packed full! It was crazy.  
Anyhow, Since it was super duper cold out, I made Blueberry muffins from scratch for the first time ever. They were delicious! I used this recipe. It didn't quite taste like Starbucks blueberry muffins but it was pretty darn close.
For lunch I made Fideo soup. I was hesitant on making this because my mom is the expert at making this soup (anything Mexican really), and I tried making this a couple weeks ago and failed miserably.
WHERE I WENT WRONG
1. I didn't fry the fideo long enough.
2. I put way to much garlic in it......
3. I put way too much onion in it....
4. I def. used the wrong seasoning..
IT WAS A DISASTER!
Anyways...
THE RIGHT WAY TO MAKE FIDEO SOUP
1. Fry the fideo until it's BROWN.
2. Get 3 tomato's, a quarter of an onion, 1 clove garlic. & a whole bunch of water. PUREE.
3. Add to fideo, add a cilantro cube, and let it simmer for maybe 10-15 minutes. & listo!
WHAT IT IS
 It's a traditional Mexican soup. You can add whatever you like to it. I added some carrots since we had them laying around. I wanted to add chicken because that's what we usually add when making this soup but I did not defrost my chicken in time. To bad, so sad. It still tasted super delicious minus the chicken with just the carrots. Did I mention carrots are entitled to make you have better eyes and it gives your skin some color, instead of looking pale all of the time, if you eat the right amount each day? Yup. 
I took these before it got super bad. It's super bad now... like a bunch of inches bad. Yeeaa.