Saturday, January 19, 2013

Torta - A Mexican Dish

 Today I decided to make food that I know how to make without going online to look at the recipe. Besides, I was tired of trying to make American food all of the time. No offense. 
What is a Torta you ask? It is a traditional Mexican sandwich, that you can make any way you like. Literally. Great for lunch!
This is what you need:
1. Sliced Pork Scallopini, 2. Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning, 3. Mayo, 4. Fresh Spinach Leaves, 5. Lime,  6. Avocado, 7. Tostitos Chunky Salsa. (doesn't matter what kind of salsa, as long as you like it.) 8. Telera(s) (type of bread).
You want to cook the meat first. I used pork scallopini but you don't have to. You can use any type of meat you want, such as steak and chicken. I also seasoned it with Goyo brand seasoning. You don't have to use this if you don't want to. You can season your meat however you like, but I personally like Goya. It gives it that Mexican taste you're looking for. I also added a bit of salt. (Note) I never measure the ingredients, I usually eye ball it unless I'm making a dessert. Next cut your teleras in half. Don't know where to buy teleras? Go to your local Mexican grocery store. If you live in Cape Girardeau go to Fenny's Mexican Grocery store on Independence street. They also have a variety of Mexican sweet bread. Trust me, you don't want to miss out. Bread comes fresh from St. Louis every Wednesday. They also sell Tres Leches Cakes, also comes fresh on Wednesdays. So so good. 
Next you want your teleras a bit toasty. I used my gas stove oven top as you can see above. You can also use a toaster oven if you'd like. This way was just more faster. I did this while the pork was cooking. You then want to put mayonnaise on both sides of the bread and add some fresh spinach. You also don't have to use spinach if you don't want to. You can use lettuce if you want. I usually use lettuce but I didn't have any in the fridge so I used spinach instead and you still get that great taste. Starting to look good already.
 Layer on your meat after it's fully cooked. On the other half of your bread spread as much avocado as you like. Like I always say, you can never have to much avocado. Yummm!
Add some salsa! I used Tostitos Chunky Salsa because it's sooo good! Just spread it over the avocado. In other cases I would have used my mom's awesome salsa that she makes but I know longer live any where near her. So sad. What's even more sad, I didn't ask her to teach me how. If you don't have pre-made salsa with you, dice up some onions, tomatoes, chiles, and cilantro, and woala! You have salsa! 
Enjoy your Torta!